Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Immigrant Activity

You wouldn't guess that by the title of my post, that this assignment was for "Using Technology to Integrate Math Across the Curriculum"!  We have been using a software program called InspireData to investigate real information from rosters of ships that brought immigrants to the US.  This particular activity involved creating a story about a family that we adopted from the boat, journaling about their experiences, and creating a budget for income and expenses.  It was absorbing!  The math aspect of the task was more than just the budget, we used the software to compare the occupants of the boat by age, occupation, family, etc.  By the end of the assignment I had a much deeper appreciation for what it might have been like to immigrate, as well as how to navigate within the software.  Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn,

    It's great to hear that InspireData improved your understanding and appreciation of immigration! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    I'd love to connect with you on our blog, Facebook or Twitter. Feel free to email me at connect(at)inspiration.com as well.

    Thanks again!

    Sarah Cargill, Inspiration Software
    inspiration.com/blog
    facebook.com/InspirationSoftware
    twitter.com/InspirationSW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah for your comment. As soon as I am done with my course I will have more time to connect! I am very familiar with your products and use Inspiration and Kidspiration all of the time. I am also excited to see that Webspiration has really developed nicely too. Inspiredata was a required purchase for the course and has been an invaluable tool to learn about. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete