Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bread Mold Continued

I have been so wrapped up in my ecology class that I forgot to blog last week. We are in the final 2 weeks and I continue to be grateful for this valuable ecological experience. Last week we threw away our bread experiment after weeks of gathering data on mold growth. If you caught my blog a few weeks back you know that I was watching to see if changing the pH on top of the slice would keep the mold at bay.I am still watching for mold growth on my slices with vinegar, ammonia, honey and my plain control piece. No mold at all on those pieces. I had to get rid of my pieces dipped in milk and baking soda. The milk bread was so riddled with mold you couldn't tell that it was once bread. Some of the colors and patterns were intriguing. The baking soda piece was covered in a completely different form of mold evidenced by the difference in color and pattern. Sounds disgusting but remember this is where we got penicillin. The results of my bread trials provided evidence that substances with a higher alkalinity or higher acidity are indeed deterrents to mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment