Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Non-traditional student

Hello, It is hard to believe, but I am have finished my first week of my last Lesley TIE class.  I have learned so much since I started in this program.  I am not a teacher, I am an occupational therapist with a background in Assistive Technology.  One of my goals in achieving my Masters in the TIE program was to understand more about the integration of technology into the regular education curriculum.  Through the very practical and carefully designed assignments/learning experiences, I have developed much greater insights and understandings.

If you do not have a teaching background, you too may be a bit nervous as to whether this program is a good match for you.  I would encourage you to blog with us and ask the questions that you may have.  I also found it really helpful to talk to the staff in the TIE program.  They know the courses and can help with advising you.
Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I'm going to be non-traditional too, starting Spring term II (in Math Ed). Unlike you, however, I work directly in the field of education, but in publishing, not a school.

    My biggest concern is that I do not have access to a classroom. Do you work traditional 9-5 hours? I do, so any time I have to be in a school, I will have to take very limited vacation time. I have lined up kids friends to help me when I need "students", and have been assured this will be sufficient, but I'm nervous that the amount of in classroom work has actually been understated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are going to be fine. Although I do have access to classrooms and students, I do not "teach" and therefore my experience with the curriculum was very limited. The assignments are not necessarily things that one would need to implement immediately with students. Many of them require your gaining familiarity with tools (technology) and various assignments that can help you to integrate these supports within a classroom environment. I plan to use my new skills as a consultant to teachers; I want to help them better integrate the technology supports, especially for special needs students. Hope that helps. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete