Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ecology Rocks!

I have to admit that I danced around the room when I received my kit for Ecology: Organisms, Nutrients and Environment. It is this course in Lesley's Science in Education program that I have had the greatest anticipation for. The best item in the kit: a handheld microscope. WOW! This beats a hand lens any day when looking at ROT on the move as we have done this past week. Our first assignment was to get outside and look for signs of decomposition and to post our thoughts on factors involved in the process. I already feel like I've gained a lot of knowledge about the subject.
Our leader, Suzanne Flynn has made great efforts to personalize the experience by touching base with each of us and posting right along beside us. My classmates are from all over the US as well Guatemala and Germany. They bring a wide variety of experience and knowledge to the course. This nine weeks is going to be a fantastic learning experience. Next week's session looks to be even more intriguing. We will be setting up a composting investigation and observing the decomposition of bread. I am currently exposing a loaf of bread to the air to encourage the growth of mold. We'll be putting that good old microscope to use again. (Contented sigh)....the wonders of ROT.

No comments:

Post a Comment