Tuesday, February 16, 2010

We often hear people say, “I understand that you are upset” or “I understand how to get to the store,” but what does it truly mean to understand? How do we know when our students understand a topic? Are various assessments, such as quizzes and tests, the best way to measure how much the students actually know and understand? Some may say yes, but Tina Blythe points out a different perspective in her book titled, “The Teaching for Understanding Guide.” According to Blythe, “performances of understanding are at the heart of developing understanding.” The key word in that sentence is performance. It is not enough for students to read information from a textbook, watch related video clips and/or participate in labs and experiments in the classroom. What is missing is the application of what is learned in the classroom to the outside world. Remembering the definition of a physical change, for example, may not be difficult for students. It is not until the students are able to recognize that the sugar dissolved in a cup of tea or the wood being chopped to make a fire are real life experiences of physical changes, that Blythe concludes the students do have an understanding of the topic.

During the first two weeks of the Earth Science course, we investigated the Nile River. Using Google Earth, the Michelin map, and other data we investigated the various elevation levels surrounding the Nile. This information gave us clues as to where the river originates and the path the water travels. In addition, we mapped out the watershed area surrounding the Nile. The watershed includes the areas of land where all of the water that is under it or drains off of it goes into the same place – in this case the Nile River. My understanding of the fact that a river is more than just the visible stream of water came into perspective during the stream table investigations. This was evident in both stream table scenarios as the soil on either side of the river felt moist. The stream table helped me to see how a river flowing through a flat terrain resembles the White Nile and a river flowing through a series of hills and valleys resembles the Blue Nile.

I anticipate that I will have a better appreciation for rivers at the completion of this course. I am now consciously thinking about the Aberjona River, for example, which I drive over everyday on my way to work and can see from my classroom window. I am beginning to ask myself, where does it originate? Where does it end? In what direction does it travel and why? As I continue to investigate the Nile River, I am hopeful that I will be able to apply my knowledge to then answer these questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment