Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reaching out to colleagues-T.I.E. Program

One of the great things about Lesley’s Technology in Education program is the work. It may seem funny to hear that, but I sincerely mean it. From the first assignments in the first class to the assignment I have this week, I have not only found work I can share immediately with my students, but work I can share with my colleagues as well.
In my school, and maybe in your school too, there are many people who are interested in using more technology, but not sure where to begin. Because of my Lesley classes, I have created “Technology with Jen” classes at my school. In these classes, teachers learn immediate ways to integrate technology into their own lessons. The feedback has been awesome.
The lessons I have shared integrate technology with language arts, math, social studies and science and can be modified to meet many other areas. Students enjoy working with software like iTunes, Audacity, Power Point, Excel and even Word. There is lots of room for them to be creative while still adhering to assignment expectations. It’s a win-win for everyone!
Being a teacher myself is helpful in these workshops because I can address classroom questions from experience. I have been through troubleshooting the laptops, uploading photos, and finding “lost” documents all while monitoring twenty other students. In addition to giving my fellow-teachers the tools they need, I can commiserate and offer tips when the tools don’t work!
The Technology in Education program at Lesley really does provide hands-on work that can be used immediately in the classroom-by a Lesley student or her colleagues!