Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Process-Based Learning and Math

As a math teacher, I am always looking for effective ways to deepen student understanding. I believe that my job as a teacher is to facilitate and guide learning through exploration and process-based learning rather than only through direct instruction.

One of the most valuable things that has happened for me in the math masters program is that each and every class is set up so that our learning is guided exploration and process-based. I have experienced the value of this first-hand in every class.When the goal is for students to learn by doing, and to synthesize what they learn in a way that is supported by their individual prior experiences, perceptions and learning preferences, the results are amazing. I am feeling this way as a student in this program, and it's been very reaffirming for me as a teacher, that the learning model I'm providing in my classroom is truly what's best for kids.

Having the chance to experience math concepts I had already learned in a completely different way has been incredibly useful. It has deepened my understanding of math concepts that I thought I had already mastered, which has in turn made me a much more effective teacher. These classes are providing me with a learning model that I can use in my own classroom and many of the explorations we do are directly relevant to my grade level. It's been quite a fantastic experience so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment