Thursday, July 2, 2009

MEd Science Education

Hola! I'm Brian Chalmers located at the American School of Guatemala in Guatemala City. I've been teaching upper elementary (3rd - 5th grades) for the last four years but have recently taken a new role as the elementary science lab instructor -- total dream job for me! You can check out our school at, www.cag.edu.gt.

First, I'm a mid-career switcher previously in business & health care. But, I always had a dream to teach. So, I moved to Washington, D.C. and earned my M.A.T. at American University. I knew I wanted to focus on science instruction and inquiry-based methods. When I found the MEd Science Education program at Lesley, I knew it was a perfect match. However, I was worried if it would be feasible knowing that I was moving overseas. Surprisingly, it's been one of the easiset things I've done -- the program leaders and instructors have worked hard to ensure I have everything I need to focus on my studies.

Currently, I'm in my second course, Biology, with the program and the classes have really met my expectations and beyond. What I like most about the program is that the instructors facilitate the class much the same way we should be facilitating our own science classes. It's a process of discovery, questioning, and gaining experiences rather than reading from a book and regurgitating the information.

In the two classes so far, I have been able to already incorporate the lessons directly into my practice. And, I'm starting to become more self-aware of my teaching practice in regards to the teaching of science to young students --- all from 2,000 miles away!

In future posts I will share more about things I've learned from the classes and how I'm planning to use them in my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment