Saturday, August 8, 2009

Listening to Children's Ideas

These past couple of weeks has been a challenge for me. I celebrated my 10-year wedding anniversary with a trip to Ireland with my wife and some family. I knew that I probably wouldn’t have a chance at getting any school work accomplished while on my trip. I decided to get all of my assignments done before I left. The flexibility of the Lesley program allowed me to access the session for the following week. Although it took a bit of extra effort to get things done on time, I was able to complete the assignments and enjoy my time abroad.
The coursework, recently, has focused on listening to children, as I said in my last post. We have spent a great deal of time and effort analyzing our one-on-one clinical interviews. This has really got me in tune with finding out what children know about motion, and truly wanting to know what they think about motion. I felt a click that has rewired what I want to get out of my students. Instead of focusing on what I want them to know, I am fascinated by what they know already. I want to learn what they think about movement in their world.
I have learned that children have many great ideas about how or why things move, but struggle to change misconceptions. It is my job to help them explore those ideas, and see, for themselves, what can be supported by evidence. These skills will be something I continue to work on this summer, and I am looking forward to using them in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment