Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why Online?

I have just completed my fifth on-line class in the M.Ed. in Mathematics Education at Lesley and am beginning my sixth course. I will complete this program in two years, taking one class at a time. I have been asked by my colleagues at work how I feel about being in an on-line program. Since I am half-way through my coursework, I am in a position to speak about some of the benefits that I have found from being in the program at Lesley. Every class that I have taken has aligned to what I teach as a middle school math teacher. Each professor has been excellent, not only because they are knowledgeable about the content, but because they also have experience in the classroom. They are passionate about their areas of expertise and go above and beyond to help everyone in the class grow as a teacher of mathematics. It is hard to explain how one makes a connection with on-line classmates so quickly. It happens because we are afforded so many opportunities to interact. We share mathematical solutions, teaching strategies, and work on group projects. We give one another links for teaching resources, trade lessons and discuss our successes and challenges. Most importantly, my classmates provide support and help whenever I need it and I am grateful when I am able to do the same for them. With the start of each class, I am excited to “see” familiar faces and find that I quickly make connections with classmates I am meeting for the first time. The online classroom allows me to experience diversity; my classmates come from all over the country, or I should say all over the globe. The on-line classroom experience is enriched because of our varied backgrounds. Collectively we teach in different places, use different curriculums, and teach at different grade levels. I picked this program initially because I live in a somewhat remote location and it would be a challenge to commute and attend class in person. I also liked the idea of being able to schedule the time when I would “attend class” and complete my coursework. I did not foresee all of the other advantages. I have grown in my understanding of mathematics and as a teacher of mathematics. I have been humbled as I continue to learn how much I have yet to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment