Saturday, November 7, 2009

Technology & Active Participants in Learning

Did you ever see that commercial where the kids are told what to do, where to sit, what to study, and they have no choices except for what goes on their sub sandwich? Beyond just being able to improve their life by picking out pickles over tomatoes for a sandwich - I strongly believe that our children need to have some measure of control over their own learning. This can be difficult, however, when we have a set amount of content that must be given to them in a short period of time. How can we provide opportunities within our instruction to allow students to be true active participants in their learning?

In ECOMP 6016 (Teaching & Learning with Digital Media) we explored a variety of technology based projects that included the use of audio and video. Ranging from simple to complex, these types of projects can bring a new and exciting way for students to express and present ideas. It gives them a measure of control over the process with very personalized exploration and presentation of learning.

During this class I participated in a technology enhanced activity that utilized a flatbed scanner. Taking this activity further and directly into a classroom, I scanned in Kindergarten artwork (Fall Fiesta autumn trees) and uploaded it to Voicethread. Each student then sat with me and recorded an audio reflection about their artwork. Feel free to visit at http://voicethread.com/share/230542/ (classroom songs were added at the end as an experiment). The end result is something each student can take true ownership of and easily share beyond the classroom.

Taking inspiration from another 6016 activity, I gave my middle-school students creative control over a m
edia project and this brought forth some fantastic work as they created multi-media stories about some group building exercises (they were away at a camp for a few days). They combined pictures, music, text, voiceover, and personal creativity to produce vignettes that will be available for families and classmates to view and share. This type of activity is creative, motivating, and empowering for students.

Technology is not the magic bullet to solve our education problems, but integrated well into curriculum it can provide an enhancement to instruction that engages students. Through my TIE courses here at Lesley I am learning how to best bring technology into the curriculum effectively, how to use it for assessment, and how to motivate students with its use. Almost every homework assignment that I complete for a Lesley course brings inspiration and new ideas to me to transfer directly into my own class environment. My students are enjoying the creative control they are given and are stepping up to the challenges. I am not the only one to benefit from my Lesley TIE classes as my students are reaping the rewards as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment